Environment & Sustainability
Our commitment to the environment and sustainability encompasses our core values as a company which is:
“To meet the needs of our business without compromising the ability of future generations.”
We have formalized our environmental activities through our Environmental Management Systems (EMS) which are certified to BS EN ISO 14001:2004.
Chequers has also been accredited and awarded for our environmental initiatives by the following:
- Carbon Smart Gold award for our commitment to the environment 2014
- Gold Envibe award for environmental excellence 2009
- Best of Borough Award Winner for best commitment to Corporate and Social Responsibility 2008
- RBS South London Business award for Sustainability 2009
- House of Commons – Green Apple award 2010 for best environmental practice
- Urban Fossil awards 2009
- Smarter Travel awards – work place of the year nominees 2010
- Mayor of London Green Procurement code awards – best new comer runners up 2010
At Chequers we are very conscientious about recycling. Working in synergy with our employees, suppliers and customers we have established an environmental project which has seen long-term commitment and collaboration to reduce, reuse and recycle; this has produced environmental efficiencies and financial savings. The project includes a commitment to staff training, involvement in community fund raising projects and charity events. We completed a six week garden project with Roke Primary School, one of our clients, in which several themed gardens was created in an effort to teach pupils the importance of sustainability.
All our materials and equipment are purchased from Futures Supplies, who are dedicated to providing their suppliers with recyclable products and an environmentally sustainable service.
Through our partnership with the Carbon Hub, in 2008 our company pledged to reduce our carbon foot print by 10% by the end of the year 2011. In order to achieve this we recorded the data collected from our waste, water, energy and fuel bills each time a bill was received and this information was then logged on to our personal account held with the Carbon Hub. We continue to monitor any reductions in carbon footprint instantly and are pleased to announce that, since first recording, we have smashed our target and have actually reduced our company footprint by 22%